Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Grab Some "Local Color"

I began painting as a therapeutic hobby about 7 years ago. Not trained. Self taught. With simply a passion driving me, I picked up a canvas and some brushes one day because I had always wanted to paint, but never thought I could. Some might say I still can't. But that doesn't stop me.

Therein lies the plot line for a new movie that utterly took me by surprise, "Local Color" -- written and directed by George Gallo, who truly is a renaissance man: filmaker, actor, writer, and yes, painter. He began painting in the same way I did, but when he was much, much younger. This movie is his story.

You don't have to be an artist to fall in love with this film. You don't even have to like art. You just have to love a great story, brilliantly photographed and masterfully acted by Armin Mueller-Stahl, Trevor Morgan, Ray Liotta, and Samantha Mathis, to name a few of the top-notch cast. With his words and direction, Gallo paints a moving portrait of love, passion and attainable dreams.

"Local Color" opens July 3rd. Go see it. It will renew your spirit and inspire you to not just dream your dreams, but live them.

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I visit mom and dad at home I enjoy looking at the painting of yours they have on the mantle over the fireplace, which, I believe, is a small boat sitting on the water at sunset. Very calming to look at and great coloration.

    Love you,
    Your nephew, Joe

    ReplyDelete