Wednesday, September 16, 2009

CLOONEY: The Story Behind the Story...

George Clooney. That's the star's name that immediately comes to mind whenever I am asked this question: "Who is your favorite star in the world to interview?" It's always been George Clooney. Why? Because he's always been a decent, fun-loving, regular, down-to-earth guy. He still is, but I have a little behind-the-scenes story to share with you about why you will most likely not be hearing a lot from George, at least, in television interviews for some time to come.

At the Toronto International Film Festival, George had TWO, count 'em, TWO huge movie premieres, for two EXCELLENT films. "The Men Who Stare at Goats" and "Up in the Air" -- while I loved BOTH of these movies for different reasons, the latter, "Up in the Air" moved me. It's simply a great story. Funny, intense, powerful, timely. Directed by Jason Reitman, it's a story of a guy (Clooney) who's job is to terminate other people's jobs. The poster cleverly uses this line. "A story about a guy looking for a connection" -- so true, on so many different levels. GO see this movie when it comes out.

Back to the premieres. So, of course with two big movies, there will be two opportunities to "connect" with Clooney on the red carpet. At least that's how it's always been. This time, sadly, it was different. George arrived at the "Goats" premiere, hand bandaged still from that unfortunate run-in with a car door, and I was first in line to greet him. I gingerly shook his bad hand, which he graciously extended, and he greeted me warmly: "Jerry! how's it going?" -- GREAT, we're off to a good start... when suddenly, he was gone... slipped out of my grasp and skipped a slew of other reporters on the red carpet, but strategically greeted the other major entertainment outlets the same way: quickly. Those of us who have been used to a different experience with Clooney... a fun and entertaining few minutes with him, talking about the movie, but also catching up, for instance, on the latest pranks he's pulled or Brad Pitt has pulled on him, was non-existant. We were stunned.

Sure, there were a lot of reasons to be in Toronto: Matt Damon, who is another favorite, and who gave me a terrific sit-down interview about his clever and funny new movie "The Informant!" Mariah Carey and Oprah Winfrey, who teamed up for a gut-wrenching movie about abuse, called "Precious" -- it will tear your heart out, and you will be blown away by the performances, particularly by Monique, the comedian who makes a huge dramatic turn as an abusive mother. All that said, I was personally looking forward to my two "red carpet moments" with George.

Later that night, there was an "after-party" for George's movie, and my producer Adam and I attended. We ran into George and his publicist, Stan Rosenfield. Now, a little about Stan. Stan has been good to me, and good to "Extra" over the years. He knows what's best for his clients, and will protect them vigorously, but he also knows when someone is going to treat his client with respect, and therefore, makes his client accessible. He handles not only George, but Charlie Sheen, to name only two, who is another decent, down-to-earth guy, who always gives me "a little something more" in an interview.

While George stood a few feet away, entertaining his party guests, as only George can do -- with humor, grace and class -- Stan spoke to us about why George did a "fly by" on the red carpet, saying essentially, George wants to show up to these premieres for the fans, first and foremost, and to support the film. Period. There will more than likely be no more sit-down interviews, no more talk show appearances, and very little in the way of interviews on the red carpet.

A few minutes later, with drinks in our hands, I toasted George personally, and congratulated him on his two movies... and we had a chance to speak face to face. George was the same welcoming George I've always known him to be. Looking me in the eye while we chatted. Nothing had changed between us personally, and I so appreciate that about Clooney. Do I wish the moment we had off-camera at that party, was on-camera? Of course. Do I understand why George, at this point in his career, doesn't need that anymore? Of course. He's an Oscar-winning superstar who can call the shots on his terms, and why shouldn't he?

Most importantly, I respect that George Clooney remains a gentleman where it counts, and that's in his person-to-person encounters OUT of the spotlight.

No matter what, when asked in the future who my favorite star is to interview? I will still say George Clooney. I just hope I get to bring those interviews with him to you in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Did you see the interview with Brad Pitt where he was asked whe he and Angelina would get married? Brad said he and Angelina would wed when all those who wanted to get married could legally wed who they wanted to (like his friend George Clooney). The reporter did not ask for clarification...am not sure they heard or not but I know what I heard....maybe George does not want to field difficult questions? I too am a Clooney fan...he is for sure eye candy (even in his first film Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it time that the MEDIA (who think they are entitled to everything) stop chewing up and spitting out human beings.
    So many people are just getting sick of how humans are treated by the MEDIA.
    There is nothing nice or good about what you do! Lay off George, Tiger, Jenny, Jennifer, Brad and on and on!

    ReplyDelete