Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why I Love Toronto...

Just back from TIFF, otherwise known as the Toronto International Film Festival, and with respect to the other festivals around the world that I attend every year (Cannes, Sundance, etc) I have to say I have a special place in my heart for this one. Here's why: it's all about the movies, and it's all about the movie-lovers, the fans... There is NO swag, NO gifting suites (none that are overt, anyway)... Just lines of fans waiting to see the newest crop of movies you'll be seeing this fall. Many of them become Oscar contenders, at least that's what the track record has been for this festival.

I've been going to TIFF for years now, and there's such a warm welcome every time I show up at the first big premiere. This year it was "Jennifer's Body" with Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried. It was held at Ryerson University, so the crowd was mostly college-aged kids, and lots of young people... I was so touched that they SCREAMED my name, asked for autographs, which I was so appreciative of. Look, I am no "star", and I don't purport to be one, but in Toronto, I am made to feel like one. I signed, I took pictures with the fans, I listened to their "Ryerson loves Jerry" chants. And I was so damned tickled.

Thanks, Toronto, for making this guy who interviews the stars, feel like one for a night.

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Gerard,

    I have to say that's what gets me about Sundance - every year it seems like it's all about the glamour, gifts and grabs (prizes, etc.); almost like a contest to see which sponsor can outdo all the others. Glad to see/hear about a festival that promotes the spirit of indie films at an indie level.

    ReplyDelete