Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lessons from a Hollywood outsider...

My dear friend, Diane, is visiting Hollywood for the first time in her life. She's from Providence, Rhode Island, and is a world traveller: in fact, she's been to Italy with me and other loved ones countless times... she just hasn't, for whatever reason, made it to Los Angeles and its environs, ever. Well, her first time is giving me pause, that is, for the first time in eons, I am seeing this town, and it's glitterati in a whole new light... Not that I'm a jaded entertainment journalist, or anything... it's just that sometimes you need to see your own environment through someone else's virginal eyes.

She attended her first awards show with me and our friend, Mark, on Saturday night, and to see the look on her face when I introduced her to Ron Howard, and to hear how she's relayed that story to friends back home, does my heart good. She was at the movies yesterday and spotted one of her favorite soap hunks attending the same movie. Diane was delirously delighted. Those of us who live here and particularly work in "the biz" sometimes, no, oftentimes take moments like that for granted.

Thanks, Diane, for your fresh perspective... it's easy to forget how much impact "enjoying the moment" -- any moment of joy, in Hollywood or elsewhere -- can have. Just you wait 'til Oscar day!

No comments:

Post a Comment